- Stage 1 to 6 badges (same as current badges)
- The current fundamental movements plus four new components (Speed, Extreme, Spins, Spirals and Hockey/Ringette) that have been reconfigured into three fundamental areas called Balance, Control and Agility (the ABCs of skating!):
- More emphasis on speed and flexibility – In accordance with LTAD philosophies it is important to build in components that address the development of speed and flexibility in a more concrete way. Speed is more of a focus with features such as the Fast Track and specific speed-related drills. Activities highlighting flexibility are incorporated into the sessions to ensure appropriate development of this skill.
- Earlier introduction of edges, turns and stroking basics – Upon reviewing the program it was determined that these basic skills that are the foundation of quality skating should be given more emphasis. Therefore, more focus is placed on edges, turns, strong pushes and glides. Sport-specific skills are introduced later in the program.
- Emphasis on skill progression and repetition– Better skill progressions are reinforced as the skaters develop skills. Skills are repeated at various stages throughout the program with gradually increasing performance requirements.
- Learn-to-skate for all – In addition to ensuring that CanSkate meets LTAD principles we also want to ensure that CanSkate provides the opportunity for clubs to reach all prospective clientele including hockey and ringette players and speed skaters in the community who are looking for a quality generic learn-to-skate program.
What will a CanSkate session look like?
Dress in layers – it may get warm! Skaters should wear long pants, gloves, warm sweater or jacket.
All skaters MUST wear a CSA approved hockey helmet with a full face mask, this is mandatory for participation in this program. Any other type of helmet is not allowed to be worn. No exceptions.
MHSC and Skate Canada DO NOT recommend the “adjustable or expandable” skates. These types do not offer the support needed for developing skaters. If you need help selecting proper fitting skates please speak with the professionals at Sports Connection, talk with our Coaching staff or our Club staff for recommendations.